Thursday, February 3, 2011

Snow Day {Take Three}

The base was closed, again, today. We were actually a little surprised, but when you consider that the city still hasn't cleared many of the main roads {due to lack of working trucks}, I suppose we shouldn't have been surprised. Tomorrow is already set for a noon report time and Ben is fairly convinced that it will be closed tomorrow as well.


This morning, while Ellie was napping and I was working around the house, Ben was working on cleaning up his side of the closet and Noah was "helping" him. All of the sudden, Noah comes running into the living room, telling me that he wants to watch Curious George Christmas. Without hesitation {or waiting for me to say yes}, he grabs it out of the cabinet and runs back to our bedroom. Within seconds, I hear it starting!

Confused, I grabbed my camera and followed.



Daddy had pulled out the "baby tv" for Noah to watch. He watched the entire movie on it while Ben cleaned.



Lunch was eaten together, at the kid table. Ellie loves sitting there {and getting up, repeatedly}, and Noah begs for her to sit with him. He constantly reminds her to stay seated too, so that she won't have to go sit in the highchair.


After naps, while I was sewing and Ben was still purging his clothes, Noah convinced Daddy to let him watch another movie on the "baby tv". Ellie got to get in on Hero of the Rails also.


The snow days have made it easy for me to get in some extra crafty time. Last week I made a couple of items for my friend Angie, who is having a little girl this summer:

Earlier in the week {Tuesday, I think?} I made Noah a Trains-to-Go carrier similar to the Cars one that I made him.


He loves it. But I knew he would, he was pretty excited just when we bought the fabric last week.

Today's project was something for Ellie. But before I show what I made, I've got to give a little bit of a back story. The day that Ben and I started dating was the day he returned from his Grandpa Crew's funeral. I never got to meet Grandpa Crews, but from what I hear and have learned about him, I'm pretty sure that I would love him just as much as the rest of his family did.

Grandma Lucy knows how much Ben loved Grandpa Crews, so she has given Ben several of his old shirts. A couple of them have been right up Ben's alley and he's actually worn, on more than one occasion. But some of them, well, either don't fit or just aren't Ben's style. The only problem is, it's hard sometimes, to just "get rid of" clothing or things that belonged to some one that you love so much.

Like this shirt:

We actually think it *might* be the same shirt that Grandpa Crews is wearing in the photo above from their 50th wedding anniversary party.

So, when I saw this tutorial on Made, I knew exactly what shirt I wanted to use for a dress for Ellie. Because a dress for Ellie, made from her Great-Grandpa's shirt... priceless. And, who knows... I'll bet that any other great-granddaughters that come along will wear it too.



It turned out pretty cute. It already makes me ready for summer.

And the Little One wearing it? Just as cute. And just as ornery as I hear that her Great-Grandpa {and Daddy!} was.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That.Dress.Is.Precious. LOVE IT!!!

faith buss said...

How stinkin' CUTE!!! the dress, the kids, all of it!

Amanda said...

Oh Sam I love it... such a beautiful story... I love it.